Fairmount Travel Alert
Appointments & Referrals
News & Updates
Find A Specialist
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Sleep Disorders Clinic and Lab
Kennedy Krieger Institute • 801 North Broadway • Baltimore, MD 21205
About Our Program:
The Sleep Disorders Clinic provides care for children and young adults with neurodevelopmental disabilities or behavioral disorders who also have difficulties with sleep. Our clinic is staffed by a child neurologist and behavioral psychologist experienced in sleep disorders, and offers comprehensive evaluation, treatment and additional testing. Sleep problems we evaluate include difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, disruptive sleep-wake schedules, unusual behaviors during sleep and snoring or other abnormalities of breathing during sleep.
Who We Are
The Sleep Disorders Clinic combines medical and psychological approaches in an outpatient setting for the comprehensive evaluation and treatment of children and young adults with sleep problems. For those who require further evaluation and testing, we also offer our Sleep Laboratory.
Who We Serve
We provide care for children and young adults with neurodevelopmental disabilities or behavioral disorders who also have difficulties with sleep. Sleep problems include:
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Unusual behaviors during sleep
- Atypical sleep-wake cycles
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
- Disruptive sleep schedules
The range of disorders and disabilities we treat includes:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Intellectual disability
- Down syndrome
Our evaluations and treatment services are provided by a range of experts in the following areas:
- Pediatric neurology with specialization in neurodevelopmental disabilities, including sleep medicine and clinical neurophysiology
- Behavioral psychology
- Polysomnographic technology and EEG technology
Our Treatment Approach:
Our team evaluates and treats the many factors -- both behavioral and physical -- that can affect sleep. Our approach includes:
- Testing and Evaluation: Every child receives an initial evaluation or consultation that includes a sleep-focused history, physical and neurological examination, as well as a review of relevant records, including sleep questionnaires and diaries.
- Recommendations and Referrals: After we identify the areas of sleep difficulty, we may recommend additional testing, such as an overnight sleep study. We will also develop comprehensive treatment and behavioral management approaches. For some patients, such as those with ongoing behavioral management needs or sleep-related breathing disorders, we can make referrals to other clinics or programs when needed.
- Follow-Up: It is important that patients who recieve medication treatment come back for periodic appointments so that we can monitor and review the effects of any medication.
The Sleep Laboratory:
We offer sleep laboratory services to children and young adults in a child-friendly setting. We can provide further study and evaluation services, including overnight polysomnogram (PSG) -- a recording made during sleep to evaluate sleep disorders, as well as:
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT): A nap study used to determine how quickly the child will fall asleep in quiet situations during the day.
- Overnight EEG with Video Monitoring: While this test is offered to children both and without disabilities, the lab specializes in evaluating children with communication and behavioral issues.
Hours of Operation:
Phone: (443) 923-9170
Local Referral: (443) 923-9400
Toll-Free Referral: (800) 554-2080