What Leaders In The Field Are Saying About the Center
"This program thoughtfully brings together cutting edge partners that together will create a high-caliber, hands-on environment for learning. Those that complete the program will be sought after by many school systems for leadership positions in special education."
- Kim Lewis, EdD
Leadership & Advisory Boards
Nancy S. Grasmick, PhD, Co-Director:
Dr. Nancy Grasmick is the nation’s longest serving state education chief and Maryland’s first female superintendent of schools. Under her leadership, the state of Maryland received one of the federal government’s coveted Race to the Top education grants in 2010, worth up to $250 million to continue building upon a solid record of school reform. In addition, for a fourth straight year, Education Week ranked Maryland’s public school system first in the nation in 2012. Dr. Grasmick has received numerous awards for her visionary leadership, including the national Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education. In 2011, she was inducted into The Daily Record’s “Circle of Influence,” recognizing her as a “Most Influential Marylander.” In 2010, the College Board awarded her the national William U. Harris Award of Excellence, and the National Art Education Association honored her with the Distinguished Service, Outside the Profession Award. Dr. Grasmick is also a presidential scholar at Towson University.
E. Mark Mahone, PhD, ABPP, Co-Director:
Dr. Mark Mahone is a pediatric neuropsychologist and director of the Department of Neuropsychology at Kennedy Krieger Institute. He is also professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and is on the core faculty in psychology for the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (LEND) program and the Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center (IDDRC). Dr. Mahone’s professional career has emphasized clinical services for young children with neurodevelopmental disorders; training and mentoring of psychologists, educators, and physicians in working with young children; and research involving investigation of brainbehavior relationships in young children with and without neurodevelopmental disorders. Dr. Mahone is the president-elect of the American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology and is an editorial board member for six scientific journals.
Internal Advisory Board
- Gary Goldstein, MD, president and CEO, Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Bruce Shapiro, MD, vice president of training, Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Rebecca Landa, PhD, director, Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Wayne Silverman, PhD, research scientist, Kennedy Krieger Institute, and Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
National Advisory Board
The National Advisory Board for the Center for Innovation and Leadership in Special Education is comprised of internationally recognized leaders in business, education, and neuroscience:
- Chair: Susan Magsamen, Johns Hopkins Brain Sciences Institute
- Kurt Fischer, PhD, professor, Harvard University
- John Cammack, senior advisor and chairman of Curiosityville
- Jane Healy, PhD, educational psychologist and author
- Ellen Galinsky, author, president and co-founder of Families and Work Institute
- Deb Dagit, executive director for Work and Environment at Merck & Co., Inc.
- Alfred Sommer, MD, former dean, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health