The International Adoption Clinic of Kennedy Krieger Institute and Johns Hopkins Children's Center offers pre-and post-adoption services to families who are adopting a child either internationally or domestically.
Our services are designed to augment the care provided by the child's primary health care provider.
Pre-adoption services include:
- Medical history review
- Videotape review
- Information about child's country of origin and common health problems
- Referral to the Johns Hopkins travel medicine service
- Medical travel kit
Post-adoption services include:
- Developmental assessment
- Comprehensive medical assessment
- Laboratory evaluation and immunizations, as needed
- Referrals to subspecialty medical or psychological services, as needed
- Liaison with the child's primary health care provider
Professionals at Kennedy Krieger Institute and the Johns Hopkins Children's Center provide care via a coordinated, multidisciplinary approach. They tailor the child's care to the needs of the child, family and primary health care provider.
Primary Program Goals:
- To prepare family for care of newly-adopted child, including adjustment to adoption
- To identify, pre-adoption, potential areas of medical/developmental concern
- To provide consultative assistance to child's primary health care provider
- To assess, post-adoption, child's developmental level
- To coordinate, post-adoption, medical evaluation and preventive care
- To identify/coordinate needed subspecialty services/care
- To make referrals for appropriate resources geared to specific needs of the child/family
Related Materials and Information:
- The Resource Finder: A Project of Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Adopting.com -- Internet Adoption Resources
- National Adoption Information Clearinghouse
- Eastern European Adoption Coalition, Inc.
- Families with Children from China
- Rainbow Kids.com: An International Adoption Publication